When people ask me who I am, I get confused. So many roles, so many expectations from the public, so many expectations from myself. To be somebody. So many identities learnt and borrowed.
Therefore I decided to present myself to you as a human.
Yes, I’m a human. A human, who a year and a half ago at the age of 31 heard the diagnosis – breast cancer. So it began. My road back to myself to truly meet me for the first time. To finally hear myself and my voice.
Back then I got the impulse that I wanted to do something with my hair. The chemotherapy was inevitable and I would lose the hair anyway. So why not turn it all into a little adventure? Within a few days, together with the charming master Aija Ūdentiņa, I said goodbye to my long hair, living through my childhood haircuts, returning to memories and gradually approaching the inevitable reality that awaited me.
Self-noises / Episode 1
It's Time To Say Good-Bye [LV with EN subtitles]
Our first acquaintance, conversations about appearance. Aija reveals her observations about people’s desire to emphasize important life changes with changing their hairstyles. Haircut – kare. Kare has been my basic cut most of my childhood. This choice – a symbolic return to childhood, a new starting point.
Recorded on 27 April, 2020.
It didn’t even occur to me that all of this would eventually become an important part of my therapy, part of the way I survived this harsh, painful and truly frightening experience. This stage in my life, when I can no longer control anything, when only hope is left for me, while following the doctor’s instructions.
But it wouldn’t be me, if I didn’t make any trouble. From the initial impulse to cut the hair, before it falls out on its own – all this in the hands of talented and creative people has turned into the social art project Self-Noises, the central event of which in Latvia is the exhibition having the same name. But it is not a story about me. It is about everyone of us. About you. In search of your voice – the voice that may have dissolved in the noises of the world. Who are you yourself? Beyond everything and everyone?
If you have such an opportunity, I invite you to visit the exhibition Self-Noises in Riga (24.09-24.10.2021). And I invite you to follow the project’s Instagram and Facebook pages to get acquainted with my story and other episodes of the podcast.
Why am I sharing it at all? Because I remember, how much I was strengthened by the stories of other people I looked up, when I felt alone in my fear of the disease. I believe that the experience of cancer can and should be talked about openly and publicly. And I want each of us to get a little closer to ourselves and experience a more authentic self and this life! And maybe even fall in love. Fall in love with life!
Don’t take an example from me – you don’t have to get sick to start hearing yourself. Be healthy! Be yourselves!
WHAT ARE COOKIES
Cookies are small text files, which are embedded in on your computer’s hard drive through your browser. They are often used as a mechanism for websites to memorize useful information, such as your login information, and to facilitate convenience of surfing through the website. Our cookies cannot identify you personally.
HOW DO WE USE THE COOKIES
Several types of cookies are used on the website for various purposes:
• Essential cookies: The cookies are used to ensure operation of the Website, inter alia, to allow you to use our services and to connect to your account. These cookies are used based on our legitimate interest to ensure operation of the Website and provide services to you. The essential cookies are stored until you close your browser, i.e., until the end of the session. • Analytical/performance cookies: The cookies allow us to recognize and quantify the number of visitors of the Website and see how these visitors navigate the Website. The legal grounds for use of these cookies are our legitimate interest to improve performance of our Website, for example, by ensuring a search option. The analytical/performance cookies are stored on your device permanently. • Functional cookies: The cookies allow the Website to remember the settings you selected and your preferences that facilitate more convenient use of the Website, for example, if you wish to remain logged in on the Website. These cookies are used based on our legitimate interest to ensure, improve and make the use of the Website more convenient. The functional cookies are stored on your device permanently. • Targeting/advertising cookies: The cookies are used to record your visit to the Website, the websites and links you have used, for the purpose to offer and render our or our business partners’ products and services according to your interests. These cookies are used based on your consent. By visiting the Website and using the services provided by us you agree that the targeting/advertising cookies are used. The targeting/advertising cookies will be stored until you delete cookies from your browser.
The cookies are processed and received by us and our business partners who ensure operation of the Website, compile and analyse your activities on the Website. Cookie information is not transferred outside the European Union and EEA.
HOW TO RESTRICT AND ERASE COOKIES
If you wish to restrict, block or erase the cookies, such option is ensured upon changing settings of the browser you use. You cannot opt-out of use of the essential and functional cookies, because without them it is not possible to ensure the functionality of the Website. You cannot opt-out of use of the analytical cookies either because they are necessary for us to improve the performance of the Website.
We use the services of Google Analytics. You can opt-out from the use thereof by downloading and installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on tool.
For further information about cookies and inquiries as to how to manage them please read here www.aboutcookies.org.
MADARA COSMETICS, AS ZELTIŅU IELA 131, MARUPE, LV-2167, LATVIJA.
By agreeing to receive commercial notices, you confirm that you are informed that:
1. AS Madara Cosmetics processes your personal data, which you have entered in the registration form, including your geographical location and purchase history for the purpose of offering you the most suitable services and products;
2. In order to send commercial notices various types of profiling is performed, taking into account the information you have provided for the purpose to establish what kind of a commercial notice would be most suitable for you;
3. Your personal data will be processed by us and our business partners, who provide IT structures, email and SMS platforms;
4. You have a right to make rectifications of the entered personal data or revoke your consent to receive the commercial notices at any time;
5. AS Madara Cosmetics will cease sending commercial notices as soon as your request is processed (please note that processing of the request depends on technological capacities to act on your request, which may take up to five days);
6. Your personal data will be processed until you revoke your consent, or, in certain cases, until the necessity to retain evidence of the received consent expires.
Upon registering you confirm that you are informed that:
1. The data you provide will be processed for the following purposes: 1.1. to create and maintain your account in order to conclude a Distance agreement with AS Madara Cosmetics and obtain other related services, including notifications related to the performance of the Distance agreement; 1.2. to compile and retain your purchase history, inter alia, in order to improve the services and products we provide; 1.3. to retain evidence of the concluded Distance agreement;
2. Your personal data will be processed by us and our business partners, who provide delivery services, IT structures, and payment platforms;
3. You have a right to make rectifications to the entered personal data or request deletion of your account at any time;
4. Your personal data will be processed until you delete your account, or the storage period set out by the laws expires, or statute of limitations for bringing an action in court lapses;
5. Failing to provide all information specified in the registration form will prevent you from creating the account and concluding the Distance agreement through it.
Upon registration, you confirm that the entered personal data is true and accurate.
Hello, Paula Thank you for all your words, your truth and mostly for your courage! Life can be very tricky sometimes and we need to be empathetic to understand the world and ourselves. A few years ago, I was diagnosed with panic and anxiety attacks. This is one of the most critical and common illnesses of 21st century and people don’t give importance to it. So, I’m trying to say this: no matter the difficults, no matter the situation. Life is too short and we must dive into ourselves to be our best version (for ourselves and for the planet). Thanks again for reminding us of the importance of being alive. I Wish you the best ❤️
You must be registered to comment Sign in or Sign up
You must be registered to comment Sign in or Sign up