Cleansing? Easy game. But did you know it can lead to excess oiliness, sensitivity or even dehydration when carried out harshly?
We’re starting a series of skincare advice, and first things first — let’s talk about clean skin.
The purpose of this fundamental step is to remove impurities, dust, environmental toxins, makeup, and also the natural buildup of oil and sweat. But cleansing can have its dirty side, too — if we choose formulas that are too aggressive, the active molecules, called surfactants, can damage the skin’s natural moisture and protective barrier.
“Cleansing can have its dirty side, too.”
Overcleansed skin is forced to produce more oil, as it is trying to restore its natural moisture and protective barrier. This is often an issue for people with oily or combination skin, who tend to choose aggressive products to control oiliness. The more they dry their skin, the oilier it gets.
Aggressive cleansing and antibacterial ingredients can disturb your skin’s microbiome. But a balanced microbiome keeps your skin healthy. So, when choosing a cleanser, don’t overlook mildness in the search for effectiveness — good cleansers combine both.
“A good cleanser leaves your skin pure, not stripped.”
Cleansing is more of a two step process – especially if you use makeup and sunscreen. Double cleansing includes using an oil-based cleanser first to dissolve and remove oil-soluble makeup, foundation and sunscreen. Then you follow with a water-based cleanser, such as mild foam or milk, that will remove any last traces.
THE EYE AREA
Double cleansing is important when it comes to your eye contour skin. We don’t want any rubbing, stretching and irritations here — which often happens if you’re trying to get rid of stubborn makeup or waterproof mascara using harsh formulas. So, for this area — use only gentle sweeping motions, with micellar water or gentle makeup remover, wiping away the residue afterwards using a cleansing milk.
CLEANSE THE CLEANSER
With every respect for water-saving initiatives and keeping in mind the remarkable advantages of no-rinse cleansers (such as micellar water), it is still better to wash surfactant-containing formulas off, unless you are on the go. This will keep your skin barrier protected, and will prevent cleanser molecules from penetrating the skin.
A good cleanse before you go to bed is a must, especially if you are living in urban or agricultural areas. You want to get rid of that environmental buildup — micro dust, heavy metal particles and pollutants — landing on the surface of your skin throughout the day.
Wash your face with a rinse-off cleanser every night. More advanced anti-pollution cleansing can be performed with detoxifying masks, enriched with toxin-absorbing ingredients. Sapropelic mud, for example, contains a high dose of humic acids that bind heavy metals. Other champions — active charcoal and clay. Take a look at MÁDARA Detox Mask and/or Smart Anti-Pollution Mask.
Wearing makeup? Always remove it before heading to bed. And no excuses here! Sleeping beauties, who refuse to do this, wake up with clogged pores, dull skin, and a few more pimples here and there. Give your skin the rest it deserves!
While evening cleansing is a must, if your skin is dry, you can skip using a cleanser in the morning. Go for this old Hollywood trick instead — just wash your face with ice cold water for the ultimate freshness and toning effect. However, combination and oily skin will be thankful for more proper cleansing — start your day with a refreshing touch of Purifying Foam.
TONE AFTER CLEANSING
Our skin is naturally acidic with a pH balance of 5–5.5. Tap water is normally pH 7–9, which means that after every cleansing the skin’s pH balance gets disturbed. It takes hours to restore it! Toner helps to restore this balance quickly, maintaining a healthy acidic mantle of the skin.
A good toner also helps you to make the most of your moisturiser. Penetration-enhancing ingredients help the moisturiser molecules migrate deeper into the skin, increasing their hydrating and age-defying benefits.
EXFOLIATE ONCE A WEEK
Natural fruit acids (AHA) peel your skin and remove dead skin cells, boosting your skin’s natural renewal cycle. Exfoliation gives each skin type what it needs — for dryer skin types, it improves moisture absorption. For oilier skin types, it helps to avoid breakouts by unclogging pores. Mild exfoliators leave your skin smoother, shrink pores, promote glow and a more even skin tone. Scrub is a good alternative — but please note it should only be used on intact skin, and never during acute inflammation or breakouts. Take a look at MÁDARA AHA Peel Mask and Exfoliating Oil-to-Milk Scrub.
“Gentle cleansing is not exclusively for dry or sensitive skin. All skin deserves it!”
WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING A CLEANSER?
+ Gentle to the skin barrier
+ Skin-compatible pH
+ Respectful to the microbiome (no antibacterials)
This sophisticated oil melts away impurities, longwear makeup and mineral sunscreen. Self-emulsifying upon contact with water, easy to rinse off. Based on nourishing oils and skin barrier-repairing ceramides.
Perfect for: dry, mature, fragile and sensitive skin.
WHAT ARE COOKIES
Cookies are small text files, which are embedded in on your computer’s hard drive through your browser. They are often used as a mechanism for websites to memorize useful information, such as your login information, and to facilitate convenience of surfing through the website. Our cookies cannot identify you personally.
HOW DO WE USE THE COOKIES
Several types of cookies are used on the website for various purposes:
• Essential cookies: The cookies are used to ensure operation of the Website, inter alia, to allow you to use our services and to connect to your account. These cookies are used based on our legitimate interest to ensure operation of the Website and provide services to you. The essential cookies are stored until you close your browser, i.e., until the end of the session. • Analytical/performance cookies: The cookies allow us to recognize and quantify the number of visitors of the Website and see how these visitors navigate the Website. The legal grounds for use of these cookies are our legitimate interest to improve performance of our Website, for example, by ensuring a search option. The analytical/performance cookies are stored on your device permanently. • Functional cookies: The cookies allow the Website to remember the settings you selected and your preferences that facilitate more convenient use of the Website, for example, if you wish to remain logged in on the Website. These cookies are used based on our legitimate interest to ensure, improve and make the use of the Website more convenient. The functional cookies are stored on your device permanently. • Targeting/advertising cookies: The cookies are used to record your visit to the Website, the websites and links you have used, for the purpose to offer and render our or our business partners’ products and services according to your interests. These cookies are used based on your consent. By visiting the Website and using the services provided by us you agree that the targeting/advertising cookies are used. The targeting/advertising cookies will be stored until you delete cookies from your browser.
The cookies are processed and received by us and our business partners who ensure operation of the Website, compile and analyse your activities on the Website. Cookie information is not transferred outside the European Union and EEA.
HOW TO RESTRICT AND ERASE COOKIES
If you wish to restrict, block or erase the cookies, such option is ensured upon changing settings of the browser you use. You cannot opt-out of use of the essential and functional cookies, because without them it is not possible to ensure the functionality of the Website. You cannot opt-out of use of the analytical cookies either because they are necessary for us to improve the performance of the Website.
We use the services of Google Analytics. You can opt-out from the use thereof by downloading and installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on tool.
For further information about cookies and inquiries as to how to manage them please read here www.aboutcookies.org.
MADARA COSMETICS, AS ZELTIŅU IELA 131, MARUPE, LV-2167, LATVIJA.
By agreeing to receive commercial notices, you confirm that you are informed that:
1. AS Madara Cosmetics processes your personal data, which you have entered in the registration form, including your geographical location and purchase history for the purpose of offering you the most suitable services and products;
2. In order to send commercial notices various types of profiling is performed, taking into account the information you have provided for the purpose to establish what kind of a commercial notice would be most suitable for you;
3. Your personal data will be processed by us and our business partners, who provide IT structures, email and SMS platforms;
4. You have a right to make rectifications of the entered personal data or revoke your consent to receive the commercial notices at any time;
5. AS Madara Cosmetics will cease sending commercial notices as soon as your request is processed (please note that processing of the request depends on technological capacities to act on your request, which may take up to five days);
6. Your personal data will be processed until you revoke your consent, or, in certain cases, until the necessity to retain evidence of the received consent expires.
Upon registering you confirm that you are informed that:
1. The data you provide will be processed for the following purposes: 1.1. to create and maintain your account in order to conclude a Distance agreement with AS Madara Cosmetics and obtain other related services, including notifications related to the performance of the Distance agreement; 1.2. to compile and retain your purchase history, inter alia, in order to improve the services and products we provide; 1.3. to retain evidence of the concluded Distance agreement;
2. Your personal data will be processed by us and our business partners, who provide delivery services, IT structures, and payment platforms;
3. You have a right to make rectifications to the entered personal data or request deletion of your account at any time;
4. Your personal data will be processed until you delete your account, or the storage period set out by the laws expires, or statute of limitations for bringing an action in court lapses;
5. Failing to provide all information specified in the registration form will prevent you from creating the account and concluding the Distance agreement through it.
Upon registration, you confirm that the entered personal data is true and accurate.
You must be registered to comment Sign in or Sign up