Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Exfoliation
Author: Elza Birzniece | Reading time: 6 minutes
Exfoliation might be one of the most important, yet underrated step, in your skincare routine, often surrounded by misconceptions. Don’t let the word combination chemical peel scare you – exfoliating, when done right, is the secret to achieving a glowing complexion. Here, our certified beauty therapist Kitija gives a breakdown of different exfoliation practices.
For a free beauty consultation, please contact our skincare experts via WhatsApp or Messenger.
What exactly is exfoliation?
‘’Exfoliation removes dead cells from the skin’s surface, boosting cell turnover to reveal the newer, more radiant cells underneath,’’ Kitija explains. It also boosts the efficacy of other skincare products, since without the layer of dead cells they can penetrate the skin more easily.
Though most skin types can benefit from exfoliation, do be mindful of the intensity – overdoing it can be counterproductive. Exfoliating too often or using an exfoliator not suitable for your skin can lead to irritation, peeling and redness.
Exfoliating in summer – yes or no?
Exfoliation can and should be done in summer – after all, sloughing off those dead cells makes space for a more even and smooth tan. However, Kitija recommends proceeding with caution: ‘’Exfoliation makes the skin more vulnerable, especially to sun exposure’’. Only exfoliate at night and always wear high protection sunscreen, like MÁDARA SPF50 Plant Stem Cell Ultra-Shield Sunscreen, to shield those new cells from damage.
Chemical vs mechanical exfoliation
There are two main types of exfoliation – chemical and mechanical. They both work towards the same goal, just in different ways.
‘’Chemical exfoliators slough off dead skin cells using acids such as AHAs, PHAs and BHAs to stimulate cell turnover,’’ Kitija explains. This helps achieve a brighter, more radiant and refined complexion that we all crave, enhancing skin hydration and unclogging pores. If you have very sensitive skin or are a newbie to acids, Kitija suggests starting with baby steps. Start by slowly incorporating them into your routine, only later working your way up to stronger active ingredients.
On the other hand, mechanical exfoliators – products containing small particles or bristles of a brush – are used to physically scrub away surface cells and dislodge dirt in gentle motions which also help boost circulation. Keep in mind mechanical exfoliation should only be performed on intact skin, and never during acute inflammation or breakouts.
Pretty clear so far? Now, let’s explore the different types of exfoliants.
AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids)
AHAs work on the skin’s surface, dislodging and dissolving dead cells to reveal smoother, brighter skin – great for those who want to target uneven texture.
Suitable for: All skin types, especially mature, tired and lacklustre skin. Not recommended for fragile, hypersensitive skin.
Try: Formulated with lactic acid, MÁDARA AHA Brightening Peel Mask is a glow-boosting powerhouse that stimulates cell turnover, brightens the skin and breathes life into dull complexions.
BHAs (beta hydroxy acids)
They reach deeper into the skin that AHAs, unclogging pores and removing sebum build-up. Salicylic acid is the most popular BHA, best for those concerned with blackheads and large pores.
Suitable for: All skin types, especially congested, blemish-prone, oily skin.
Try: The perfect exfoliating toner for clogged and oily skin, MÁDARA Clarifying Toner contains salicylic acid which purifies, reduces shine, minimises the appearance of enlarged pores and blemishes.
PHAs (poly hydroxy acids)
PHAs such as lactobionic and gluconic acid can be thought of as the friendly cousins of AHAs – they function the same way but don’t penetrate as deeply, providing a gentler mode of exfoliation. PHAs also boast humectant properties, meaning they attract water to hydrate and soften the skin.
Suitable for: All skin types, especially sensitive skin.
These mechanical exfoliants effectively buff away the layer of dead skin cells to reveal a fresh, clean canvas. With scrubs, the real hero ingredients are tiny beads or grains which take care of the exfoliating action. But don’t go too hard – being too rough with your scrubbing can irritate the skin.
Suitable for: Normal, combination, oily skin. Not suitable for problem-prone and sensitive skin.
Try: The perfect alternative to the rough, gritty scrubs from the past, MÁDARA Exfoliating Oil-to-Milk Scrub contains natural wax microbeads to delicately cleanse and renew skin. Enriched with apricot and oat oils, the innovative formula transforms into milk for a gentle yet effective resurfacing treatment.
Now, choose your fighter and start exfoliating – your quest for a truly radiant complexion starts here.
WHAT ARE COOKIES
Cookies are small text files, which are embedded in on your computer’s hard drive through your browser. They are often used as a mechanism for websites to memorize useful information, such as your login information, and to facilitate convenience of surfing through the website. Our cookies cannot identify you personally.
HOW DO WE USE THE COOKIES
Several types of cookies are used on the website for various purposes:
• Essential cookies: The cookies are used to ensure operation of the Website, inter alia, to allow you to use our services and to connect to your account. These cookies are used based on our legitimate interest to ensure operation of the Website and provide services to you. The essential cookies are stored until you close your browser, i.e., until the end of the session. • Analytical/performance cookies: The cookies allow us to recognize and quantify the number of visitors of the Website and see how these visitors navigate the Website. The legal grounds for use of these cookies are our legitimate interest to improve performance of our Website, for example, by ensuring a search option. The analytical/performance cookies are stored on your device permanently. • Functional cookies: The cookies allow the Website to remember the settings you selected and your preferences that facilitate more convenient use of the Website, for example, if you wish to remain logged in on the Website. These cookies are used based on our legitimate interest to ensure, improve and make the use of the Website more convenient. The functional cookies are stored on your device permanently. • Targeting/advertising cookies: The cookies are used to record your visit to the Website, the websites and links you have used, for the purpose to offer and render our or our business partners’ products and services according to your interests. These cookies are used based on your consent. By visiting the Website and using the services provided by us you agree that the targeting/advertising cookies are used. The targeting/advertising cookies will be stored until you delete cookies from your browser.
The cookies are processed and received by us and our business partners who ensure operation of the Website, compile and analyse your activities on the Website. Cookie information is not transferred outside the European Union and EEA.
HOW TO RESTRICT AND ERASE COOKIES
If you wish to restrict, block or erase the cookies, such option is ensured upon changing settings of the browser you use. You cannot opt-out of use of the essential and functional cookies, because without them it is not possible to ensure the functionality of the Website. You cannot opt-out of use of the analytical cookies either because they are necessary for us to improve the performance of the Website.
We use the services of Google Analytics. You can opt-out from the use thereof by downloading and installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on tool.
For further information about cookies and inquiries as to how to manage them please read here www.aboutcookies.org.
MADARA COSMETICS, AS ZELTIŅU IELA 131, MARUPE, LV-2167, LATVIJA.
By agreeing to receive commercial notices, you confirm that you are informed that:
1. AS Madara Cosmetics processes your personal data, which you have entered in the registration form, including your geographical location and purchase history for the purpose of offering you the most suitable services and products;
2. In order to send commercial notices various types of profiling is performed, taking into account the information you have provided for the purpose to establish what kind of a commercial notice would be most suitable for you;
3. Your personal data will be processed by us and our business partners, who provide IT structures, email and SMS platforms;
4. You have a right to make rectifications of the entered personal data or revoke your consent to receive the commercial notices at any time;
5. AS Madara Cosmetics will cease sending commercial notices as soon as your request is processed (please note that processing of the request depends on technological capacities to act on your request, which may take up to five days);
6. Your personal data will be processed until you revoke your consent, or, in certain cases, until the necessity to retain evidence of the received consent expires.
Upon registering you confirm that you are informed that:
1. The data you provide will be processed for the following purposes: 1.1. to create and maintain your account in order to conclude a Distance agreement with AS Madara Cosmetics and obtain other related services, including notifications related to the performance of the Distance agreement; 1.2. to compile and retain your purchase history, inter alia, in order to improve the services and products we provide; 1.3. to retain evidence of the concluded Distance agreement;
2. Your personal data will be processed by us and our business partners, who provide delivery services, IT structures, and payment platforms;
3. You have a right to make rectifications to the entered personal data or request deletion of your account at any time;
4. Your personal data will be processed until you delete your account, or the storage period set out by the laws expires, or statute of limitations for bringing an action in court lapses;
5. Failing to provide all information specified in the registration form will prevent you from creating the account and concluding the Distance agreement through it.
Upon registration, you confirm that the entered personal data is true and accurate.
You must be registered to comment Sign in or Sign up